Friday, January 2, 2015

New Beginnings with Blue Fern Studios

Hello friends, and welcome to the new year!

I'm up on the Blue Fern Studios blog today with a video tutorial of how I put together a mixed media journal cover, using nothing more than Blue Fern Studios chipboards, some metal bits from Wild Orchid Crafts and flowers. I was very inspired by one of my friends Joyce Kers who kept a journal on inspirational women in her family, and I wanted to make a similar journal but of my family tree which I hope to fill up in the year 2015.

This is the project:


and close-ups (warning: graphic-intensive!)




I have always used papers, cloth or canvas to create my layers but for this journal cover I decided to create my layers with the chipboards from Blue Fern Studios instead. The intricate laser-cut designs are perfect as every layer they form has lots of interesting details to catch the eye.  




I wanted a blank white base to start with so that I can play with the new mediums I got for Christmas, but didn't want my chipboards to feel boring. So all the chipboard pieces were covered with different texture mediums. Of those that I used, the fibre paste and lace were from a very cool lady I met on Tuesday for lunch (thank you Yvonne for the lovely candy and the altered box!).


My title piece which I kept simple.

Here is the video of how I put everything together:


List of supplies:
Chipboard (from Blue Fern Studios)
Metal clocks and flower filigrees: Wild Orchid Crafts
Mixed Media Resist Canvas Album (Prima)
Mediums - Golden, Liquitex, Windsor and Newton
Paints and Pigments: Luminarte, Lindy's Stamp Gang, Shimmerz, 13@rts


And since the weekend is just around the corner, why not play along with our new sketch for the new year? Here it is, designed by Michele Singh:


The rules are simple and can be found in the link above. There are also gorgeous products from Blue Fern Studios up for grabs so get those creative juices going!

So that's all I have for you today. Have a wonderful weekend ahead!


love,

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful Jeli.... I love the colours and watching you work is like watching a ballet or something ... You make it look soooooo easy and effortless. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful..loved the video too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Gorgeous Jelissa... I am in awe of your talents!
    Your video is just wonderful...I agree with Val......you make it look so easy and effortless.
    Thanks for sharing...Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete

thank you for dropping a note, it means so much to me!